Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Blue Grosbeak

DSC_0025  Blue Grosbeak outside my window 6-1-10

DSC_0027 DSC_0024

Blue Grosbeak, species 91 for Sycamore Canyon. I woke up this morning and opened the shutters only to see this beauty sitting on the quail block!  I have never seen this species in Sycamore Canyon before and I personally have never had such a close and clear look at this species of bird.  Grosbeaks are in the same family as cardinals and eat insects, seeds and fruit. Their range is from east to west coast in the lower 2/3rds of the continental United States during summer. The female of the species has the same general shape but is much duller with hints of blue in the shoulders and tail and paler chestnut wingbars.

9 comments:

  1. WOW! I love the color in these photos! ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful bird. What a surprise it must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, so do I!

    Abe, it totally floored me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful bird. A beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you to have Blue Grosbeaks visit. I hadn't realized they came that far west

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a gorgeous bird, and what a lovely surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful! I've tried to see reported male Blue Grosbeaks on a few occasions and didn't have any luck.-At the feeder-lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful shots. Love that rich, vivid blue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, he's wonderful Kathie! I hadn't checked out this blog of yours and I am enjoying the posts! Watched The Big Year recently and really enjoyed it. I'm not a true birder, but I do love seeing species I've never seen before! Thanks for your comment on the prickly pear! I actually used the method you are referring to. The problem was, the sack of fruits that were brought into the house! :-) They floated in the air, got in our clothes, our carpet. I was finding them weeks later! I guess I could put them directly in a pot of water on the porch and bring them in! :-)

    ReplyDelete